Medicines management is an evidence-based approach to prescribing which balances the safety, tolerability, effectiveness, cost and simplicity of treatments. Good medicines management means that patients receive better, safer and more convenient care.
Medicines management includes:
- Giving unbiased information about medicines and treatments
- Supporting practitioners and patients to make best use of medicines
- Minimising the harm caused by medicines
- Developing local guidelines to optimise the management of conditions
- Communicating with local hospital trusts
- A ‘medicines optimisation’ approach that seeks to maximise the beneficial clinical outcomes for patients from medicines with an emphasis on safety, governance, professional collaboration and patient engagement.
CCG's Prescribing Formulary
A medicines prescribing formulary for use in primary and community care has been ratified for use in Crawley, Horsham and Mid Sussex.
Members of the Public please note that all material in this site is aimed at healthcare professionals. Members of the public seeking advice on any medicine-related matters are encouraged to speak with their GP, pharmacist or nurse.
The formulary has been developed with reference to NICE guidelines, local clinical pathways, formularies in neighbouring CCG areas and the formularies of local trusts. The formulary is applicable to new initiations and treatments or when a patient’s repeat prescription is reviewed. It is hoped that the Formulary will cover approximately 90% of prescribing, although it is recognised that there will be instances where prescribing non-formulary items will be necessary for clinical reasons.
VISIT THE CRAWLEY, HORSHAM AND MID SUSSEX FORMULARY
CRAWLEY, HORSHAM AND MID SUSSEX NICE ADHERENCE CHECKLIST